Monday, July 30, 2012

DAY 5: THE BICYCLE, ATTICUS FINCH AND SMALL TOWN AMERICA

Canton, Oh - Upper Sandusky, Oh

101 miles - Total: 514 miles

Another 100-mile day under a baking sun in the heart of rural Ohio; I left Washington DC in a hurry and I am attacking Ohio with restlessness; my wheels are spinning fast in small-town America. Among wooden barns, auto dealerships, barking dogs and corn fields I make my way across this vast state which is the prelude to the Midwest. A long way to go of course but I am making progress. I am more than halfway to Chicago. The ride has been very good today, especially in the afternoon where I was allowed to test my speed and, for a few miles, I hammered it. It has been a day of two halves. In the morning I was in the middle of the usual hills roller coaster but past Mansfield it became almost pancake flat. Today I even had the distinct pleasure to hit the Obama's campaign trail. The big man is coming to Mansfield in two days to rally people's confidence and shore up votes come November mid-term elections.  
The morning starts hot and windless with a burning sun as I leave the hotel at the late hour of 10am. The bicycle is the best mean of transportation to see the geological change. From Pennsylvania to Ohio I can appreciate the gradual geological shift. The steep, rocky, coal-filled mountainsides give way to rolling hills covered in grass that glows a brilliant green in the morning sun. I love the rollers that sit close together, where I can fly down one side and let my speed carry me up the other. I curse the steep ones that rise from the flats and force me to inch my way up in granny gear through the hot and sticky air extolling a hefty physical prize out of my body. But I do like the strain that the hill presents, I don't mind to sit up on the pedals, pretending that I am in the lead of the race sprinting away from the peloton. I am having fun, I let my mind wonder, I listen to my body and I let my legs spin. I am finding out how my body is reacting to the strain and whether the recent chemotherapy that weakened my system has finally rebooted the machine. Some corrupted files have been interfering with it but since the start of the ride I have not detected any symptoms of a "virus". 

I am aware that if I am making progress and keeping up with the schedule is due to the level of fundraising, today coming up to 10 thousand dollars. This loud statement of solidarity discourages any attack to my system. I am very proud of the amount that has been raised so far; the money is going to research to fight and cure leukemia and blood-related cancers. Honestly, I feel I am doing something bigger than me, it is way bigger than me. The ride might be a silly thing but this cause is bigger than any single human being alone. It is humbling and scary at the same time. Access to health care, good health care is a human right and everyone should have it. Without insurance people die. This wrong must be corrected. Fighting for this should come as collective response shown by the good heart of human beings coming together to join in a fight for a better life. I am glad I can be, even it is for a fleeting moment -the duration of a bicycle tour- a representative of this cause. My life was sent spinning with three words: you have cancer. Fine, I accept the challenge. Now I lay down a challenge myself. I spin the wheels of my bike chewing up miles across the US with the love and support of many human beings for tailwind. Let's see if the virus can keep up! 

Back to the ride, back to Ohio. Today I bumped into some Amish communities. I watched them laboring energetically over fields and by barns tending to the livestock and other farm needs. I have seen a lot farm life in the past few days. At car speed the countryside seems monotonous, repetitive, uneventful. However, the bicycle offers me an intimate view of life's happening. This might be silly but it happens quite a bit: today I had two dog chases, I outsprinted them easily. Most dogs however are chained, but that doesn't stop them from trying to give chase. As soon as they see my twirling legs and hear the clanking of gear shifts, their violent, protective instinct kicks in. They forget all about the chain latched to the collar around their neck and tear off across the yard, legs pumping, barking loudly, ready to terrorize. And then, only a couple of seconds later, the chain pulls tight against the tree or pole it's attached to, stopping the dog dead in its tracks and instantly pulling it back toward its owners' house with a solid yank. The owners do not bother to call the dogs and all they do is stare at me unmoved, their body language does not give anything away. I sometimes raise my hand to wave hello, most of them reply with a nod of the head or they don't; they simply stare blankly as if they are looking at a dark TV screen. Most people are outrageously overweight. I often pull in at a grocery store to stock up on water and I wait in line behind some enormous man or woman who is going to purchase some obscure sugar-inflated snacks and will never, ever in their lives comprehend the taste of fresh fruit. But then again who are these people that inhabit "small town" America? And what is "small town" America? It certainly cannot be contained in a few sentences and it cannot be branded under isms or economic-based or even cultural categorizations. It is hard to attach the word 'liberal' to it but the fact that Obama is coming to town to shake it off of its numbing conservatism and bigotry might as well thrust my memory to one of my heroes, a liberal of small-town America par excellence, Atticus Fynch and his savvy words: "you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view". This one was for Scout.

The bike also gives me a chance to appreciate the weather and how it can alter your travel. The wind for instance, oh God! don;t eveng et me started on this and here it is pretty tame compared to the gusts of the open west. The wind changes everything. I am trying to learn how to protect my ride against it, where it blows from and how to prevent it from knocking me off balance. Traveling on the bicycle makes you want to stop at any corner or at any pretty sight and makes you want to remember it for ever. Makes you want to be one with the scenery, makes you want to go everywhere and see everything. I feel I could just walk through a corn field, smell the fresh grass, stop in one of the many hamlets I pass through and talk to the locals for hours. Or I could simply ride away after a quick hello. The bicycle is the only true serendipitous means of transportation because it allows no barriers between you and what you see and stifles all inhibitions within yourself. The bicycle makes you wanna live.  

The last 20 miles before Upper Sandusky. I push hard without stopping and by the time I am in town I long for a hot shower and a hot dinner. I enter the hotel and I don't know how the lady at the counter can find the decency in herself to smile at me because I'm a complete mess of dripping, sweaty, salty nastiness. My legs are tarnished with a mix of chain lube, dust, sunscreen, and sweat. Likewise my lower arms. I quickly pay the bill, wash my clothes and spend half an hour soaking my stiff legs in the tub. When you look at the world and think of Ohio you might be realizing that it is insignificant and stale, old and underdeveloped, isolated and prmitive. Maybe. But it is the pumping heart of the agricutural engine of America. After all when you slice up Americana, not all the pieces will taste sweet, but they might still be nourishing. This is the heart of America, few people know it and fewer people come to see it thinking there is nothng to see. How wrong they are!

Tomorrow I will continue on the historic Lincoln highway, which has been my trusted ambit of action for more than 200 miles. I am hoping to cross into Indiana. Lake Michigan beckons. And Chicago will be next.


Another Ohio barn


Amish cart in Wooster


 Hayesville


Jemoresville


Run-down wooden church in tiny Mifflin


Mansfield, hundreds in line to get tickets for Obama on his campaign trail on Wednesday


Ohio scenery of today's ride, afternoon.


 The bike is taking a breather


 Football training along LH


 Another photo for the 2013 barns calendar!


Flat and fast


A yard sale, all sorts of junk for sale, even a compound bow for $150

13 comments:

  1. Beautuful to follow this rediscovery of America wirh your insights of part Lewis and Clark and part Toqueville. Happy to hear you broke the first intermediate finish line ( the 10 k!!!). Domt worry about dogs and head wind: you can count on a ceaseless tailwind from a huge crowd! Lokk forward to seeing u cross the Indiana border!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to see if there are barns in Vancouver and how they look like... Go Luigi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Luigi,
    Morale alto ! Molto bene, la tua corsa prosegue ...e sei tu che stai "tirando il gruppo". Bella e condivisibile la citazione del mitico avvocato Atticus Fynch.
    Avanti così!
    Leandro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao Luigi. I found your blog through a cycling forum. If you need a place to stay in the Chicago area (in Evanston, a suburb just north of Chicago), email me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ecco, Luigi, hai detto bene...stai facendo qualcosa che va oltre l'esperienza personale...qualcosa di magico ed unico...sulla bici, nella vita, un dono speciale che non si limita alla mera raccolta di fondi (importantissima), ma è incoraggiamento e gioia di esistere...grazie, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stai facendo una cosa grande. E sono fiera di te. M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sei oltre 15 cmq al momento... :))) m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luigi, You are making some great time. I enjoy following your adventure and like all the photos that you are sharing. As for the barn photos and a calendar, that would be another fund raising idea. Stay have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giorno 5: LA BICICLETTA, ATTICUS FINCH E L'AMERICA DELLE PICCOLE CITTA'
    Canton – Upper Sandusky, Ohio 163 km
    Totale km 827

    Ancora una giornata di 100 miglia sotto un sole cocente nel cuore dell'Ohio rurale. Ho lasciato Washington in gran fretta e attacco l'Ohio con irrequietezza, la mia bici vola nell'America delle piccole città. Fra autosaloni, latrati di cani e campi di mais mi sono fatto strada attraverso questo immenso stato che è preludio al Midwest. Oggi ho persino avuto il piacere di seguire le tracce della campagna di Obama il quale, fra un paio di giorni, va a Mansfield per recuperare la fiducia della gente e puntellare le elezioni di novembre.
    Oggi la corsa è andata molto bene, specialmente nel pomeriggio quando ho potuto testare la mia velocità. E' stato un giorno composto di due parti distinte. Al mattino ero sull'ottovolante delle solite colline ma, passata Mansfield, il terreno è diventato quasi piatto come una tavola dove ho potuto fare una bella corsa fino alla meta fissata per il quinto giorno.
    La mattina si annuncia molto calda, senza vento e con un sole ardente quando esco dall'albergo alle 10. Mi rendo conto del graduale cambiamento geologico dalla Pennsylvania all'Ohio. Gli scoscesi, pietrosi fianchi delle montagne piene di carbone cedono il posto a colline ondulate ricoperte d'erba che brilla di un verde lucente nel sole del mattino. Adoro le colline in rapida successione perché posso volare giù da un versante e lasciare che sia la mia velocità a portarmi su per l'altro. Maledico quelle ripide che si elevano dal piano e mi costringono a conquistarmi la salita un centimetro alla volta attraverso l'aria umida e caldissima. Ma non mi dispiace alzarmi sui pedali e fingere di essere quello che conduce la volata mentre il gruppone è rimasto indietro. Mi sto divertendo, faccio parlare il mio corpo, lascio che le gambe girino: mi sto collaudando. Sto cercando di scoprire come il mio fisico reagisce alle sollecitazioni e se la recente chemio, dopo aver indebolito il mio sistema, abbia per caso fatto un reboot della macchina. Finora nessun segno di virus informatici, forse solo qualche file danneggiato. Se avanzo e sto al passo con la tabella di marcia lo devo al fatto che i fondi raccolti sono arrivati a 10.000 dollari. Questa sonora dichiarazione di solidarietà impedisce qualsiasi attacco al sistema. Sono molto orgoglioso della cifra che abbiamo raggiunto; il denaro andrà alla ricerca per combattere e curare la leucemia e gli altri tumori del sangue. Sinceramente ho la sensazione che sto facendo qualcosa che è più grande di me, è molto più grande di me. E' più grande di qualsiasi essere umano se fosse solo. E' la risposta collettiva sorta dalla generosità di esseri umani che tutti insieme si uniscono alla mia lotta per la vita, naturalmente non solo la mia vita. Sono felice di poter rappresentare questa causa anche se è solo per un fugace momento, per la durata di un giro in bicicletta cioè. La mia vita è stata ribaltata con tre parole: hai il cancro. Va bene, accetto la sfida. Ora c'è una sfida di cui detto io le condizioni: divoro chilometri con l'amore di centinaia di esseri umani che mi fa da vento a favore. Vediamo se continua così!
    Torniamo alla corsa, torniamo all'Ohio. Oggi mi sono imbattuto in alcune comunità Amish. Li ho guardati faticare di buona lena sui campi e occuparsi del bestiame vicino ai fienili. Negli ultimi giorni ho visto un bel po' di vita di campagna. Alla velocità di un'automobile la campagna sembra monotona, ripetitiva, senza sorprese. E invece la bicicletta ti fa vedere più da vicino l'andamento della vita.
    (SEGUE)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I see you have passed your $10K mark and have increased it to $20K. I was worried about you coping with the heat but I see you are doing great. Take good care.
    "God is in charge and all is well". Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go Luigi! I savor every description you share with us of the beautiful scenery and people you encountered on your journey... Thank you and Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SEGUE:
    Una cosa che sembra una stupidaggine ma capita abbastanza spesso è essere inseguiti da un cane. Oggi l’hanno fatto in due e sono riuscito facilmente a seminarli. La maggior parte di loro sono legati ma ciò non gli impedisce di tentare un inseguimento. Non appena vedono le mie gambe in movimento e sentono il rumore metallico del cambio manifestano il loro istinto violento e protettivo: dimenticano completamente la catena ben attaccata al loro collare e scattano attraverso il cortile verso di me con le zampe che si muovono freneticamente, abbaiando forte, pronti a terrorizzarmi. E neanche due secondi dopo la catena è tesa x tutta la sua lunghezza bloccando di colpo il cane e tirandolo all’istante con un brusco strattone all’indietro. I padroni non si prendono la briga di richiamarli: l’unica cosa che fanno è restare immobili a fissarmi, il loro linguaggio del corpo non rivela nulla. Qualche volta io alzo la mano e li saluto: alcuni rispondono con un cenno del capo, altri no, rimangono semplicemente a osservarmi con lo sguardo assente, come se fossero davanti allo schermo spento di un televisore. La maggioranza della gente è esageratamente sovrappeso. Spesso mi fermo in qualche negozio di alimentari per fare scorta di acqua e mi trovo in fila dietro omoni o donnone che comprano indecifrabili snack gonfiati di zuccheri e assolutamente mai nella vita avranno un’idea del sapore della frutta fresca. D’altra parte, chi sono queste persone che abitano l’America ‘delle piccole città’? E che cos’è l’America ‘delle piccole città’? Certamente non può essere contenuta in poche frasi né etichettata sotto qualche ‘ismo’ o qualche classificazione di tipo economico. E’ difficile associarla al termine ‘liberal’ ma il fatto che Obama venga da queste parti mi fa anche ripensare a uno dei miei eroi, un liberale dell’America ‘delle piccole città’ per eccellenza, Atticus Finch, e alle sue parole di buon senso: “non capirai mai una persona finché non guarderai le cose dal suo punto di vista”. Lo diceva a Scout ma va bene anche a me.
    La bicicletta dà anche la possibilità di rendersi conto del tempo e di quanto possa modificare il viaggio. Il vento, per esempio: immediatamente impari a conoscerne la direzione e quel che devi fare per impedirgli di farti perdere l’equilibrio. La bicicletta fa desiderare di fermarsi a ogni angolo, a ogni bella veduta. Mi sembra che potrei mettermi a passeggiare per un campo di granoturco, sentire il profumo dell’erba appena tagliata, fermarmi in uno dei tanti paesini che attraverso a chiacchierare per ore con la gente del luogo. O potrei anche solo fare un breve saluto e allontanarmi. La bicicletta è l’unico mezzo di trasporto che ti fa fare scoperte piacevoli e inattese perché non permette barriere fra te e quello che vedi e stronca ogni inibizione.
    Nell'ultima trentina di km ci do dentro senza fermarmi e arrivo a Upper Sandusky che muoio dalla voglia di una bella doccia e di un pasto caldo. Entro in albergo e non so come la signora alla reception trovi il coraggio di sorridermi perché sono tutto sudicio e in un bagno di sudore. Ho le gambe sporche di crema solare, polvere, grasso della catena, sudore. E così gli avambracci. Pago velocemente, poi faccio il bucato e passo mezz’ora con le gambe indolenzite a mollo nella vasca.
    Se si guarda al mondo e si pensa all'Ohio si può pensare che è irrilevante e antiquato. Tutto sommato, quando si taglia questa torta che è l’America, non tutte le fette sono dolci allo stesso modo tuttavia sono tutte nutrienti. Domani continuerò sulla storica Lincoln Highway, che è stata il mio fidato quadro d'azione per oltre 320 km. Spero di entrare in Indiana. Il lago Michigan mi chiama.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good going Luigi. I am also enjoying the great pictures painted in your description of the various sites. God's speed as you continue on this vital journey.

    ReplyDelete