Thursday, August 9, 2012

DAY 14: NORTH BY NORTH WEST

Cottage Grove, Mn - St. Cloud, Mn

106 miles - Total: 1385 miles

After my vain game of chess with the wind yesterday, today my fierce opponent did not come out to square off. The wind must have sent his understudy because with only a crosswind to contend with I quietly made progress, North by North West that is, into Minnesota. I am on course to hit North Dakota in a day or two.

Today, as I was gobbling down bananas and chocolate bars at a gas station, I got to chatting with a man in his fifties in a Panama hat and cowboy outfit. He eyeballs me from head to toe and out of the blue he says that tornadoes are common this time of the year and I should watch out. I tell him that I agree, I tell him that thunderstorms happen frequently and I just got through one. He doesn't reply, showing no surprise at all. He begins to make for his car and before he can turn his head I tell him that what I will be doing is keep on traveling. He shows his thumb and quietly gets back into his car.

Speaking of the climate, it is turning chilly, especially early morning and when the breeze picks up I need the long sleeve jersey, which I will be wearing more often I think.

I have a restless night. I keep tossing and turning knowing full well that I am awake and that the sky will soon turn pale and then will be glowing with its morning colors. Why can't I sleep? It's been a few weeks since I spent sleepless nights but that was due to pain and exhaustion of the treatment. Now I am not suffering like that anymore. Am I? No, I am not, now I am running around America on the one means of transportation that it is mine. So I think it must be the seedy motel I am staying at, the warty sheets, the smelly puce carpet, the smoke-filled hallway, the metallic sound of the ice machine, the loud neighbors, the anxiety to get going soon and to go places. Who stays here? Only people that cannot afford something better? It must take an understanding of loneliness to stay in these places. The room itself, with its dingy lights, stained carpet, echoes of despair, mementos of isolation. 50 bucks a night, I mean...what the hell do I expect? The bike resting again the blackened wall is the only piece of furniture that brightens the room up, definitely out of place here. These are rooms that fill pages and nightmares of unknown writers and unknown drifters. America is full of these rooms. It is the contemporary tragedy of its lonely population, uprooted, aimless, deranged, shocked, unchained. It is easy to dream of a better life in these surroundings.

Again I am on the road after 9am. The sky is overcast but this is good news because it means that the wind will stay away. I ride through St.Paul and into Minneapolis. I have to stop there for a quick tune-up and to meet Dan, Ana's friend, from whom I have to retrieve some ACA maps that will outline my itinerary going forward. The metropolitan area of the Twin Cities sprawls for miles and it takes me a while to cycle from the outskirts of St. Paul to the heart of Minneapolis. I ride along the big River again and I enjoy the sight and the noise of mighty barges that forcefully ply the swirly waters of the Mississippi. From steam boats to the steel barges and leisure sail boats, the river has brought people and supply to fuel the new frontier settlements. Minnesota was first explored by the French and for 140 years white explorers could not find the source of the river. Finally, it was identified as a mere trickle flowing through forests of pine and tamarack, only four inches deep and several feet across. As often is the case in life, big impactful things have small and incomprehensible beginnings. I wonder how many people were saved and how many lives were improved and how livelihoods were restored thanks to the trade and the business activities made on, within, through and by the Mississippi.

As I am pondering the importance of the river and I keep an eye on its restless waters I realize that it takes even longer to get out of the city. I take the bike trail, one of many this city has, but it gets confusing and I waste a little time finding the way out. I should have been able to find an easy exit of the town thanks to the kindness and foresightedness of Dan who printed a map of all the bike routes of the city. I really did not spend enough time to get a fair feel of Minneapolis. It is certainly an attractive town, although it did not strike me as welcoming as Madison. I enjoyed the riverfront but the downtown area seemed slightly flavorless. Again, my judgment is certainly impaired by the frenzy I was in to get in possession of the maps and have the bike looked at, but let's put it this way, it wasn't love at first sight. However, my time in Minneapolis is extremely useful, Dan directs me to Erik's Bike Shop. I go there following the sound advice of Laurie, whom I never met but left a kind message on the blog, suggesting that I pay a visit. The mechanic is wonderful and kind; he asks me about the ride and he gives a thorough look at the bike, cleaning the chain and making sure the pressure is right in the tires. All of this is free of charge. This is a far cry the money-sucking machine of City Bikes in Washington DC. I am sorry but I cannot evade this, they charged me 190 bucks for a tune-up and they even installed the chain the wrong way. I leave the city relieved and happy to be back on the road.

By the time I am done with my chores in Minneapolis it is almost 1pm and if I want to make progress I'd better push. Once I leave Minneapolis behind it is open countryside again. I take route 81 and then route 75. Unlike Virginia where country roads are a safe bet for cyclists, in Minnesota traffic is still considerably heavy on these minor arteries. I suppose the road network up North is not as extensive as in Virginia or Ohio. Once I get out of the Minneapolis urban areas, under a dark menacing sky I fly down the road first through some drizzle but luckily it stops and the clouds turn lighter. Because the wind is tame, a crossing wind which at times turns into a tailwind, I am able to ride even faster. So I make the most of it and I push in the Minnesota country which really begins to change its appearance as I ride towards the northern part of the state. And it is a fascinating state, full of thick vegetation and dramatic skies. About a century ago Minnesota was ranked as number one lumber producer in the country. Of course the saw made a good bounty and it took the avid conservationist President Teddy Roosevelt to declare vast tracts of woodland protected areas. As I enter the Saint Cloud urban area through the bike trail, I am filled with immediate joy. The sun is beginning to dip and the air is turning cool, I scan the downtown area and as I see a pretty hotel in the main thoroughfare I tear across the street and with more than a hundred miles I am done for today.

I will be back for more tomorrow. No more chess games, no more gauntlets thrown over the table, no more egos to satisfy (maybe). I am spinning the wheels and I am riding free of pain through the woodlands of Minnesota. No games, just the journey. A journey which is surprisingly difficult and should have been easier, especially at 36. But I guess it could be worse. It could be raining..

As I leave my motel, a dark, menacing sky develops, I don't mind it, I actually love the colors and the ride can be enjoyable if the rain stays away 



From the banks of the Mississippi I make out the skyline of St. Paul



Best means of transportation on the river, the big barges 




The immaculate main campus of Minnesota University in Minneapolis 



Downtown Minneapolis 




Offices in downtown Minneapolis have many skywalks to keep people warm during the rigid winter days 




 The Mighty river in downtown Minneapolis, the stone arch bridge in the background




The G.R.R., Canada to Gulf, indeed. 



The perfectly paved bike trail out of downtown Minneapolis 






They were close together all the time I was there, almost posing for the camera.






The main street in Monticello, Mn 




I am smiling inside, I am just focusing on the ride 




The scenery beginning to take on a "Northern feel" 



Minnesota sky 





The trail into Saint Cloud 




Pretty buildings in downtown Saint Cloud

9 comments:

  1. You're never alone my dear, remember. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giorno 14: NORTH BY NORTHWEST

    Cottage Grove – St. Cloud, Minnesota 171 km
    Totale km 2.230


    Dopo la partita a scacchi di ieri, oggi i giocatori non si sono presentati per affrontarsi e io, con un vento laterale, ho avanzato tranquillo a nord-nord-ovest, vale a dire all’interno del Minnesota. Sono in rotta verso il Nord Dakota, ci vorrà un giorno o due.

    Stamattina, mentre ingurgitavo banane e barrette di cioccolata a un distributore, mi sono messo a chiacchierare con un uomo sulla cinquantina vestito da cowboy e con un Panama in testa. Mi squadra dalla testa ai piedi e di punto in bianco dice che in questo periodo dell’anno i tornado sono frequenti e che dovrei fare attenzione. Io ribatto che sono d’accordo, ci sono spesso temporali e ne ho appena beccato uno. Non risponde e non si mostra affatto sorpreso. Mentre si avvia verso la macchina io gli dico che quel che farò è continuare sulla mia strada. Senza voltare la testa, mostra il pollice e s’infila in silenzio in macchina.

    Parlando del clima, si sta facendo fresco, specialmente al mattino e se c’è vento, per cui oggi ho comprato una maglia a maniche lunghe.

    Ho una notte agitata. Continuo a rigirarmi sapendo fin troppo bene che sono sveglio e che il cielo presto si farà pallido e poi lucente dei colori del mattino. Perché non riesco a dormire? Sono passate poche settimane da quando trascorrevo le notti in bianco ma quello era dovuto ai dolori e alla spossatezza causati dal trattamento. Ora non soffro più in quel modo. Sul serio? Certo, non soffro affatto, ora sto girando l’America sull’unico mezzo di trasporto che mi appartiene davvero. Quindi credo che dipenda dallo squallore del motel dove mi trovo, le lenzuola bitorzolute, la moquette che sa di pulci, il corridoio impregnato di fumo, il rumore metallico della macchina del ghiaccio, i vicini di stanza che parlano forte, l’impazienza di togliermi in fretta di qui e di andarmene in giro. La camera stessa, con le sue lampadine sudicie, sa di disperazione. Cinquanta dollari a sera, insomma...che cavolo mi aspetto? Se mi guardo attorno la bici splendente contro il muro pieno di macchie è l’unica cosa di cui sono fiero.
    Queste sono le stanze che popolano le pagine e gli incubi di scrittori e di sbandati. L’America è piena di queste stanze. E’ la tragedia contemporanea di quei suoi abitanti che sono sradicati, vagabondi, squilibrati, sconvolti, senza legami. Da queste parti è facile sognare una vita migliore. Qua penso troppo, è meglio infilarsi i pantaloncini e affrontare la lunga strada che ho davanti.

    Malgrado le poche ore di sonnellino mi sento proprio bene appena salgo in bicicletta. Il cielo è coperto e questo significa che il vento non mi darà troppo fastidio.
    Sono ancora una volta in strada dopo le 9 e devo fermarmi a Minneapolis per una veloce messa a punto della bici e per incontrare Dan da cui devo recuperare qualche cartina per impostare il percorso andando avanti. L’area metropolitana delle Twin Cities si espande per miglia e mi ci vuole un po’ per arrivare dalla periferia di St. Paul al centro di Minneapolis. Di nuovo sto correndo lungo il Grande Fiume e ammiro la vista e i suoni di massicce chiatte che a tutta forza vanno su e giù per le acque vorticose del Mississippi. Dai battelli a vapore alle chiatte d’acciaio e alle barche a vela per il tempo libero, il fiume ha portato persone e viveri per alimentare gli insediamenti della nuova frontiera. I primi ad esplorare il Minnesota furono i francesi e per 140 anni i bianchi non riuscirono a trovare la sorgente. Infine fu identificata con un ruscelletto che scorreva in un bosco di pini e larici, profondo solo una decina di centimetri e largo qualche metro. Come spesso nei casi della vita, cose che saranno di grande impatto hanno inizi trascurabili e oscuri. Mi chiedo quante vite siano state salvate, migliorate, alimentate grazie alle attività di scambio e commercio che venivano fatte sopra, attraverso e lungo il Mississippi e le sue rive.
    (SEGUE)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Luigi,
    ...molto bene: oggi anche un po' di vento favorevole ! Spero che il Motel che hai avvistato a St.Cloud ti possa dare maggior conforto del precedente.
    Un abbraccio.
    Leandro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luigi, I am so glad to hear that the good people at Erik's Bike Shop treated you well, as I knew they would. Those guys rock! I hope that the big wind blowing across Minnesota today is at least a crosswind for you and not a headwind. Ride on! Many people are following your journey and sending positive thoughts your way. You are definitely not alone! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caro Luigi, hai reso bene il sentimento di estrema solitudine dei nostri tempi affannati, ma, sai bene come me, che chi ben coltiva, ben raccoglie :) Tu, il tuo grande cuore, la tua preziosa e generosa volontà, la splendida compagnia di supporters sono una splendida realizzazione e...presto ne raccoglierai i frutti. Chi ha investito emotivamente ed affettivamente su di te, raccoglierà i frutti. Perchè quella che stai curando ed accudendo è una pianta buona e che porta tanto bene :) Pensa positivo, Luigi e si si si...sta andando come desideri, con qualche variazione sul tema :) Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. SEGUE:
    Meditando sull'importanza del fiume con lo sguardo sulle sue acque inquiete, mi rendo conto che ci vuole ancora più tempo per uscire dalla città perché ho preso una delle tante piste ciclabili, dal percorso però non tanto chiaro per cui perdo un po' di tempo per districarmi. Avrei dovuto facilmente trovare la strada grazie alla gentilezza e alla lungimiranza di Dan che mi ha cortesemente stampato una cartina di tutte le piste ciclabili della città. Sono davvero tante.
    In realtà non ho dedicato tempo a sufficienza per farmi un quadro di Minneapolis. E' certamente interessante sebbene non mi sembri così accogliente come Madison. Mi è piaciuto il lungofiume ma il centro mi è parso un po' insipido. Ripeto, il mio giudizio è stato senz'altro offuscato dalla frenesia di avere le mappe e di far controllare la bici: mettiamola così, non c'è stato il colpo di fulmine.
    Tuttavia la sosta a Minneapolis è estremamente proficua: Dan mi indica la strada per l'Erik's Bike Shop. Ci vado seguendo il saggio consiglio di Laurie che non conosco ma che ha lasciato un gentile messaggio sul blog suggerendomi di passarci. Il meccanico è bravissimo e cordiale: mi chiede del mio giro, esamina scrupolosamnete la bici, pulisce la catena, controlla la pressione delle gomme. Tutto questo gratis. Un altro paio di maniche rispetto a quella macchina succhiasoldi che è City Bikes a Washington. Mi dispiace ma devo dirlo, hanno voluto 190 dollari per una sistematina e hanno persino sbagliato a montarmi la catena.

    Parto sollevato e felice di essere di nuovo sulla strada. E' quasi arrivata l'una e sarà meglio darsi una mossa se voglio andare avanti.
    Una volta che mi lascio Minneapolis alle spalle sono di nuovo in aperta campagna. Prendo la 81 e poi la 75. Diversamente dalla Virginia, dove i ciclisti non corrono rischi sulle strade di campagna, in Minnesota il traffico è considerevolmente pesante su queste arterie minori. Suppongo che la rete stradale al nord non sia estesa come in Virginia o in Ohio.
    Fuori dall'area urbana volo per la strada, da principio sotto una pioggerellina e un cielo scuro e minaccioso; poi per fortuna smette di piovigginare e le nuvole si diradano. Riesco a andare ancora più veloce perché il vento è debole, un vento trasversale che a volte, rare volte badate bene!, gira a favore. Quindi lo sfrutto al massimo e pedalo forte nella campagna del Minnesota che realmente cambia d'aspetto mentre vado verso il nord dello stato.
    Uno stato affascinante, pieno di fitta vegetazione. Circa un secolo fa il Minnesota era il primo nel paese per produzione di legname. Naturalmente le seghe elettriche facevano la loro parte e ci volle il Presidente Teddy Roosevelt, fervente ambientalista, per dichiarare aree protette vasti tratti di bosco.
    Quando entro nell'area urbana di St. Cloud per una pista ciclabile mi scoppia dentro la gioia. Il sole è al tramonto e l'aria si sta facendo fresca, esploro il centro e appena avvisto un hotel carino nella strada principale attraverso di corsa e, con più di 100 miglia, per oggi ho finito.
    Domani ci riprovo. Niente più partite a scacchi né guanti gettati sul tavolo né ego da soddisfare (forse). Io giro la ruota e sto correndo libero fra i boschi del Minnesota. Io scelgo la strada. Niente giochi, solo il viaggio. Un viaggio che è sorprendentemente difficile e che sarebbe dovuto essere più facile.
    Però mi sa che potrebbe andar peggio. Potrebbe piovere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Luigi
    The motel you stayed at reminded me when I stayed at one at La Guardia airport. It was so awful that I did not even want to rest my head on the pillows. So I know how you felt.
    It's a lonely road but there are so many of us following you and wishing you well.
    Today I watched Bolt win gold and two other Jamaicans Blake and Weir got silver and gold. It was as easy as 1 2 3. I was on BBM with about 6 other persons from Barbados. I was so elated. He's really like a bolt of lightning - such an appropriate name.
    Remember you are not alone. We are there with you in spirit.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luigi, this is my take on “grungy” hotel rooms…. stick to them! Not literally. If they are any nicer or cozier, you may never want to leave! And you know you have a long road ahead and a lot of readers / followers to entertain. We are all anxiously waiting for your next segment, our “fix” for the day. So don’t get all-comfortable and sleep in, get out there and go!!!

    This morning, the commute to DC was horrible, my phone was dead, could not communicate with anyone on the outside, well, outside of the commuter bus! We were dragging on the bridge so I took the opportunity to take a good look at the scenery: the Potomac River, the Washington Monument, and the sign that says I am crossing the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge. Ah, yes, the same bridge I have crossed for over a decade is actually, the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge. You see, I am missing out on the little things in life that have beauty and history. As opposed to your journey, each day, a new road, a new bridge, a new monument or just a new look at the world. You are “stopping to smell the roses” and we are right there with you, because of your incredible blog.

    Keep going and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete